Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Stuffed Peppers

My boss gave me two big bags of green bell peppers and I needed to do something with them before they went bad on me, so I decided to make a batch of my stuffed peppers. I love them, they are low in fat, high in fiber and one green pepper contains more vitamin C than an orange.

Stuffed Bell Peppers
1 lb ground turkey breast
11 green bell peppers
4 cups cooked rice
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup onion, chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp black pepper
a sprinkling of salt

Cut off tops of green peppers and remove seeds and veins. Set 10 aside and chop the remaining one up for filling and set aside. Boil a large pot of water and cook peppers for 3 minutes. Remove and sprinkle the insides with salt and turn upside down onto a towel to drain. Meanwhile, cook turkey and drain off fat. Add onion, garlic and reserved chopped pepper and saute. Add in all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Place upright peppers in a greased casserole dish and fill with mixture. Cook at 375 for 35 minutes. These can also be frozen by individually wrapping peppers in plastic wrap and then putting in freezer bags.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this recipe. Travis and I put out oodles of pepper plants in the garden. Now I have something to do with them!

With the summer season coming up, I would love to have some delish recipes for my garden veggies. Got any you would like to share?