Sunday, April 20, 2008

Just Dandy

Yes I will eat just about anything once...and here's proof. I recently was discussing homemade wine with a friend and remembered back in the day when I tried some Dandelion Wine, well that got me to thinking. You can make wine with them and eat the greens in salads and I also knew the little yellow flower tops were edible too, but how other than thrown in a salad could you go about fixing those. I did a little searching and it turns out you can fry those suckers. So, being the crazy one that I am...I did just that.


Ready for the pickin'


I concocted a little recipe that goes a little something like this:

Fried Dandelion Blossoms
about 15-20 dandelions
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup of milk
salt
pepper
Old Bay Seasoning
** I added the Old Bay since the greens tend to be a bit bitter thinking maybe this might help cut some of that.






I battered em up, tossed them in the ole Fry Daddy and there you have it. I whipped up a little Roasted Garlic Aioli for dipping and tried those bad boys. To my surprise they were not at all bitter and tasted quite like fried cauliflower. Now I doubt I will be craving or fixing these often, but I can now say I tried them and that makes me feel "Just Dandy".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess that's one way of getting the weeds out of your yard!